Search This Blog

Wednesday 8 February 2017

The Memory - Part 2


Moving a few steps closer the scattered moonlight shoned upon
my figure. I can imagine her making out my features. My tattered
cloak from the neck down towards my lower torso. 
Strapped behind my back was a rucksack hand knitted by my hands. Dark colored T-shirt and jeans on myself. 

The door gently swung open to reveal a woman with an average stature approximately 170 centimeters, thin lips with a wearied look. Seems to be in her late 20s. Warmth radiating from the door entices me.

"Al-Alright, you can come in. It does seem colder than 
usual tonight." she conceded.

"Thank you. I am most grateful". 

Entering the door the warmth engulfed me. The inside seem vaguely familiar, something that brings close to home. Two amber colored timber chairs placed near the other facing a lit fireplace. An aged man sitting on one of them locked eyes with mine. His eyes lit up momentarily.

"It ain't much but I'm sure its enough. Take a seat, I can make some hot chocolate if you want. Oh and this here is my pa", she gestured.

"Yeah, that'd be nice".

I made my way towards the fireplace and acknowledged him with a slight bow of the head. He blinked in response. Taking off my cloak and placing my rucksack beside the fireplace I took a seat at the other chair.

"How long you been here?" I asked.

"Long enough, apparently not for you", he mused with a raspy voice.

I smiled.

"I guess so".

The woman came back with a kettle of water and two cups. Hanged the kettle just above the fire and leaned on the armrest beside her father.

"My name's Sophia, you can call me Fia. Me and my Pa have been living here most our lives and we don't got much visitors around these parts. What's a fellow like you doing all the way out here?"

"Name's Ia. I promised a friend I'd come back and here I am".

"Ia? Hm, unusual name. You've been here before?"

"A long time ago".

"Ohh.. I see".

*Coughs*

"Fia, I'm gonna go rest now. See to the guest for me. An old man needs his sleep." Pa said while struggling to get up.

Fia assisted her father and I found myself doing the same. 
We brought him to one of the bedrooms. Lying Pa down I found myself remembering a similar situation.

"Get some rest." I said while tapping his shoulder.

Pa looked at me and smiled a small smile, "Don't worry about me son, *coughs* I know you're still looking for something in your travels, don't let this old man hold you down."

"You're not, old man", my chest tightened as a slight grimace crept up my face, putting an effort to mask it.

At this Fia noticed the subtle nuances in my demeanor. We were alerted by the high pitched whistle of the boiling kettle in the living room.


No comments:

Post a Comment